31 December, 2006

Whenceforth my blogging?

‘Tis the season for navel-gazing, and appropriately enough the New Year also marks the end of a full year of blogging for me (although I first posted to Highly Allochthonous in September 2005, it was not until last January that I started putting a sustained effort into it). Now, therefore seems an apt time to assess how my little project has been going, and where I see it going next.

I’ve managed 112 posts this year – just over two a week. As most of them are reasonably substantial affairs - rather than simply links or clips posted without commentary - I’m happy enough with that level of productivity. With the whole of Earth Sciences to choose to write about, it’s time rather than a lack of material which prevents me producing more, and who knows, as I get better at this style of communication, I might even manage it.

Of course, the great thing about blogging is that I can write about whatever interests me. But more important for me personally has been the fact that in order to write a decent post about something, I need to read and think about the subject a bit – sometimes a lot - more than perhaps I would have done pre-blog. And this attitude is permeating my life: nowadays, even if I don’t end up posting something about it, I find myself looking more into things than perhaps I did before. A healthy attitude, methinks; the only risk is that perhaps I spend more time in front of my computer researching blog posts than is strictly healthy.

Furthermore, as reassurance that this is not just a massive exercise in self-indulgent ego-stroking, my readership, whilst not vast, is growing, and as a nice bonus I have recently picked up some semi-regular commentators. I’ve even attracted my first creationistID troll. It’s quite nice to think that what I’m writing is of some interest to other people, as well as being fun for me.

And as for next year – well, some changes are afoot in my life, which are obviously going to have an impact, but hopefully the blogging will continue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you've attracted yet another Creationist, though I tend to exorcise all trollishness from my persona. :) I really see no reason why there can't be cool, calm, rational, and well-reasoned discussion here. It's just too bad that people have to be so ugly, sometimes, in their interactions.

I found you through Bad Astronomy, and I'll be following your writings with interest. I really need to bone up on my science knowledge a bit, if for no other reason than to help aid and generate ideas for my science fiction writing.

I'm enjoying reading through your archives at the moment. I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me. :)

Chris R said...

Hi Jim,

I'm all for a decent and civilised discussion on these issues, so you're very welcome here. I've spent a lot of time in the last few years trying to understand why many people are so sympathetic towards biblical literalism when other theological positions are much easier to square with what we now know about the universe. If you haven't found it already, you might find my musings in this post of interest.

Simon Packer said...

Hi cjr and Happy New Year.
I am or was anonomous aka ID troller.
I am flattered by the mention!
Perhaps you can answer the question of where the reproduction/predatory/death cycle came from?
I see Andy MacIntosh is pushing the thermodynamics issues. Information and entropy are related issues and there is trouble with getting a consistent and concise definition for either I think.
I am definitely an IDer of course, but I am a little open ended on how to take Genesis 1-3, though I believe it is the Word of God.
You may be able to help me with something.
I am looking at the evolution/origin (sorry) of the geological column. On what does it's veracity hinge? Why do you believe it? I'm sure you'll avoid phrases like ''overwhelming evidence '' . Thanks

Chris R said...

Hi Simon,

I have a feeling that you might be confused about what the "geological column" actually is (which is common). I have a post relevent to the geological timescale in my 'to finish' folder, and maybe I'll move it up the priority queue - you're of course welcome to comment when I post it. Until then, any standard geological textbook, which discusses the principles of superposition, cross-cutting relationships and correlation, will be a good start.